Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Stargaze 2-20-11

Service Road behind building
7:20-9:15 PM

I brought my telescope and tried to work it, but there was no luck in finding Jupiter. We only had a limited amount of time since Jupiter is already very low on the horizon. We did however manage to find M42, the Orion Nebula, and view it using our telescope. After seeing the nebula through the 20mm eyepiece, we switched to the other more magnified eyepiece and saw a much closer view. Gabi and I also took turns trying to identify constellations and stars. It's a lot harder then it looks! The sky is much larger then what we anticipated. We thought that the constellations would be a lot smaller, but when Mr. P showed us the first constellation, Eridanus, we were way off. The constellations are a lot more spread out across the sky. But finally I now able to recognize some of the constellations that we've been learning. Before, I could point them all out to you on paper, but now I have had the chance to see what they look like on a clear night. Thanks Mr. P for your help with the telescope!

No comments:

Post a Comment